Tuesday, November 2, 2010

BED REST

Went to the doctor yesterday, as I have been doing every week for the past 6 weeks. Every week it's been "Good blood pressure, good weight, babies are sharing the water good, cervix is thick and closed." But yesterday the ultrasound showed that my cervix had changed and is now half open with our baby girl's head sitting right on top of it adding even more pressure especially when standing or walking. At that point the dr. said might as well get the betamethasone shots in me to help their lungs in case I do deliver early and to take it easy. He mentioned it's a significant enough change to get the steroid shots, but then again I could stay half open like this for a month and have nothing change. So I wasn't too concerned and he said he'd be more concerned if my fibronectin test came back positive. (Somehow this test, which we've been doing every week can give good percentages of your chances of going into labor within the next two weeks. Negative and I've got a 99.9% chance I will not go into labor, a positive and I've got a 30% chance I will). Since I have always been negative I wasn't too worried, but he did say to cut back on my hours at work and take it easy. I had also been having more contractions so he prescribed procardia and told me to take it when I felt like I was contracting more than normal.

So imagine my surprise when he calls me a few hours later while I'm at work to tell me the test is positive and that combined with the cervical change is concerning enough that I need to be done at work and go on bed rest!!! Also to take the procardia around the clock every 6 hours to stave off contractions and therefore potential labor. Basically he put it as my body is going to do what it's going to do, so we're going to do everything we can do to prevent labor. He also told me if I couldn't cooperate to let him know so he could put me in the hospital as he understood that some women just can't make themselves be on bed rest appropriately.

So here I am. On bed rest, trying to wrap things up at my job from home and wondering how in the world I'm going to train the new nurse that miraculously they found and hired today. But I'm sure everything will work out. It already is. The important thing obviously is to keep these babies in as long as we can!!! If we can just make it at least 3 weeks, then we'll move from there. I'm 28 weeks right now. I can handle a little bed rest! And I have such an awesome family who is already coming over every day to give us food and clean which of course helps me but also Justin as he's got so much on his plate with 4 more weeks of school till graduation. He has been so good to me as well. It has just made me love him even more. I am so blessed. I'm just glad we've saved money as I was planning on working till at least the end of the month and that I don't already have kids. This will be a piece of cake compared to what some people have to go through with bed rest. Just keep us in your prayers!!!

5 comments:

  1. You can do it girl! When I saw the title of your post, I will admit my first reaction was , "Oh no." On a brighter side of things, I just looked at your photos on Courtney's blog and you are the most gorgeous little prego girl around. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely keep you in our prayers too! As hard as bed rest sounds, it will pay off if you can keep those babies inside a bit longer. Let us know if we can help out in any way. And congrats to Justin on graduating in a few weeks! Yeah! Wish we still worked together so we could see you guys more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you are on bed rest. You are amazing and such a trooper. Thanks for the update. Glad you have family and such a great hubby around. Good luck and can't wait to see the little munchkins, but hopefully not for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will let me know if there is anything you need. Please give me a call anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are gorgeous! STAY IN THERE BABIES & hang in there Shaylee.

    ReplyDelete