Saturday, May 2, 2009

San Fran and Triathalon

So every year for the past 10 years or so we've had a tradition with the girls of my family. Every spring we have a 'girl's weekend'. We usually go to Park City, Shakespeare Festival, Salt Lake, or Southern Utah, but this year we flew to San Franscisco! It was so much fun! It was me, my two older sisters, my mom and sister-in-law Nicole who's married to my younger brother. Cortney, who's married to my older brother couldn't come because she had a little baby at home and it just wasn't happening. We sure missed her!!! I also missed my husband, but it was definitely fun to get away with the girls and play!
We went to a museum of old arcade games in Fisherman's Wharf. There was crazy stuff in there!!! They must have been obsessed with executions for entertainment back in the day because there were like 6 different booths that you could pay a quarter and watch the little guys in the box execute someone either with guns, the guillitine, or hanging. Pretty creepy. Everything in there was in working order and you could put your quarter in to watch/play.
?????What the? I thought the olden days were innocent!

Can you believe it? These things had little places you could look down into to see. We of course did not waste our quarter on this olden day trash, but it was pretty funny to me that they had arcade types of sleezy entertainment. I guess it's not much different than today. There's sleeze all over the TV and movies we watch......I just didn't realize that the sleeze came in these types of forms years ago.






This was the sign for the arm wrestling guy below. He was pretty strong.



Seriously? Opium den? Inside were these Chinese people looking stoned and homeless laying in ragged blankets. We didn't put our quarter in to see what they'd do. We should have though cause now I'm curious.....

Oh naughty Marietta~!


Holy cow what a contraption this was! It had a sign describing it and it was called 'Laughing Betty' or something like that. She was in this glass box and like 3 times the size of a real human and you put your quarter in and she'd shake forward and back and laugh for like 5 minutes. It was really creepy. The sign said most kids were scared of her. I was scared of her.

Me and Nicole near the Seals.

We had to see the seals. The guy all by himself was hilarious. All the others are sleeping away on their dock, and this one was so pompous! He sat like this with his chest and nose in the air like he was the king! Whenever a seal got into the water and came too close he'd start growling and slapping around. One seal actually got up onto his dock and he whacked him off!! Rude.


Of course we had to hit China Town! This is a slight exageration, but I was trying to represent how insanely tired we were. This whole trip was go-go-go and once you left your hotel in the morning and rode the trolley cars you were out for the entire day and just walked and walked. Definitely fun, but by China Town on our last day we were all so tired and our feet throbbed!

We did a bike ride to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Tera, Kami, Nicole and mom.

Me and Nicole. We didn't wear helmets. Good thing we didn't crash.

View of San Fran from Alcatraz. A must-see if you go to San Fran!




Since it was impossible to get tickets here, we just saw Wicked there!!!! It was so good! I loved it!!

Kami, Nicole, Tera and me.
Here's what Justin was doing while I was gone. A Triathalon with Steve, Tera's husband. You go honey! He was 13th in his age bracket.



There was a fun art gallery outside that we walked through.

I wanted this fish sculpture!!!
In Utah we have Buffalo's....and horses. San Fran has hearts....."Everyone's gay in San Fran! We're all happy!" at least that's what the trolley guy operator said...

What a fun trip! My sister Tera who planned it is so awesome and worked so hard so that we all had fun! And we did!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love SAN FRAN! What a great place to vacation with lots of things to do. Oh and even better to have great girls weekend, everyone needs that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I'm glad you had such a fun trip--who knew about all the olden day sleeze! How cool to see Wicked in San Fran. I also think it is so great that your family does a girls trip.
    That's awesome how great Justin did in the triath. makes me want to get in shape. I finally have one of Nate's work laptops so I can post, the hotel computer has been weird and won't let me. Anyway, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete